Friday, February 1, 2013

Forgiveness

Friday, February 1, 2013
I recently read that LeBron James is still one of America's most disliked athletes.  I guess people aren't over the whole Cleveland thing or maybe they're still pissed off over "The Decision." On the bright side the money made off the ESPN special was donated to charity. What he should have done was trademark the phrase"taking my talents to South Beach".

This whole LeBron situation got me thinking. People need to stop harboring negative feelings. I know LeBron is criticized for the way he handled the situation (and for his receding hairline, there's an entire facebook group on the subject) but who cares? This happened over two years ago!! Really? I can't help but to blame myself a little though. Every time I meet someone from Cleveland I ask if they're still mad. I should stop instigating. LeBron, if you ever read this just know that I got your back bro!

Forgiveness. Why is it so hard for us to forgive? That's all the world needs. Is it naive of me to think that we can put our differences aside and just move forward. After all, how do we expect to be forgiven if we, ourselves, cannot forgive?  In my case it's so hard to forgive sometimes because I want the other person to acknowledge their culpability.  I deal with my wrongs so why can't you? I've learned however that it's better to just get over it.  Don't you know that resentment and anger lead to stress which can then lead to hypertension and/or heart disease and you can DIE.  I'm not lying.  The Mayo Clinic agrees. 

You can forgive without denying that their actions hurt you and without excusing their behavior. Meaning you can forgive and not reconcile, if they hurt you, you may not want them in your life. That's understandable.  When you forgive you simply choose to release the anger and resentment (and in most cases the need to retalliate) and move on.  Studies show that witholding forgiveness actually leads to unhealthy relationships in the future as you tend to bring in negativity into the relationship.  Also, couples who forgive tend to be happier.  The choice is yours.  What's it gonna be?

Tips on how to forgive from the Mayo Clinic website:
  • Consider the value of forgiveness and its importance in your life at a given time
  • Reflect on the facts of the situation, how you've reacted, and how this combination has affected your life, health and well-being
  • When you're ready, actively choose to forgive the person who's offended you
  • Move away from your role as victim and release the control and power the offending person and situation have had in your life *

  • Consider this your PSA of the day, tootles!

    Onto more recent LeBron news. He's upset he'll be missing the superbowl because he'll be flying on the Heat's private plane which is  not equipped with Wi-fi or satellite. Cry me a damn river!

    * Courtesy of www.mayoclinic.com Adult health.
    ** I forgot how to write a proper bibliography




    Not my pic.  Courtesy of the world wide web. 

    1 comment:

    1. Lebron has enough money to ride on a flight with satellite TV...if he really wanted to watch it he would...

      ReplyDelete

    AlmaKnack © 2014