This DIY was inspired by my sister. She made her boyfriend a bow tie. A real one. I decided to make a "pre-made" bow tie.
1. Measure fabric 8 inches long by 6 inches wide for back bow.
2. Measure fabric 7 x 4 inches for the front bow. I wanted my bows two different sizes.
3.Measure another strip to your neck measurements (this will go around the bow tie and snap in the back). ie: my neck measures 13 inches (add an inch) so cut a strip 14 x 2, fold in half and sow to have a strip that will be 14 inches long and one inch wide.
4. Add snaps to the neck strip (click on link on tips on how to add snaps).
5. Measure another smaller portion to join both ties together. I ball parked this one.
6. Fold fabric from step 1 and 2 as shown in Figure A.
7. Sow each strip as shown in Figure B.
8. Fold the sides in as shown in Figure C.
9. Sow each tie down the middle as shown in Figure D.
10. Superimpose the two soon to be bows as shown in Figure E.
11. Gather the bows with the small strip as shown in figure F.
12. Sow the back of the strip F-1. Sow it loosely so that the neck strip can go through
13. Pass the neck strip through the back of the bows. Sew on tightly.
I hope the pictures help clarify the steps. It's pretty easy. What do you think?
|My sisters legit bow tie|