Sunday, May 20, 2012

O.K.

Sunday, May 20, 2012
Have I mentioned V is Greek?  Our kids will be Greexican.  There is so much culture for them to learn and absorb. I can't wait! I've had the pleasure of vacationing in Greece and I love it! Athens, Mykonos, Nafplion, Crete, Ketakolon and Santorini. All amazing.  And of course I've been to Mexico and I love it.  One of my favorite things about Greeks is how proud they are of their culture just like Mexicans. Have you seen the movie "My Big fat Greek Wedding"? You know how the dad is always telling everyone every word is derived from the Greek language? Well, when we were in Athens V's uncle tells me: "you know the word "OK" originates from the Greek phrase Ola Kala". Which translates into everything will be all right. Which makes perfect sense even though no one can say for sure where OK originates from. I for one will accept V's uncle's explanation because all the other OK assumptions sound lame!  Back in the late 1800's when the railroads were being built across the U.S.many of the Greek railroad workers were asked if everything was fine.  They would respond back with "ola kala" and of course became an acronym "ok".  If text messaging existed back then I'm sure they would have claimed they invented acronyms. In homage to our Greek heritage I decided to make V's favorite Greek dessert, Kataifi.  I was so nervous but in the end it turned out delicious.  I purchased all the ingredients at the local grocery store except the Kataifi filo dough, which I purchased from the Greek grocery store.  Whole Foods carries it sometimes as well.  If you'd like to test your baking skills here's a link for a simple recipe on how to create this delicious dessert!

http://www.ultimate-guide-to-greek-food.com/kataifi.html

Final product


Filling
Kataifi filo dough
Making the syrup
Soaking in syrup








No comments:

Post a Comment

AlmaKnack © 2014